Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Rice Recipe

Rice was on top of my cravings list (yes people, I have a list) lately. I wouldn't be surprised if I ate around a hundred bowls of rice this week alone! If you know me you'll also know how strange this is because despite having been born and raised in the Philippines and being half Spanish and Chinese, I've never really been into rice. Anyway, I know a lot of my readers love, love, love rice, so I thought it would be a good idea to share this recipe today. 
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Rice
It may be a mouthful to say but I'm sure you'll need little effort to scarf this recipe down. I'm calling it: this one's my ultimate hunger quencher. It's delicious and super filling. I chose sun-dried tomato pesto because I think it is one of the most under-rated dips or sauces ever, and I love looking for new ways to make things exciting so here goes! 
Hope you guys get to try it and don't forget to #sunnysideash if you want to share your recipes or your food-ventures with me on instagram. Your posts will show on my blog's instagram widget! 

Servings: Good for 7-8 people
Ingredients
1. Red Bell Pepper (1 large)
2. Tomato (1 large)
3. Garlic (1)
4. Olive Oil
5. Salt
6. Pepper
7. Butter (Half a stick)
8. White Onion (1 Large)
9. Short to Medium Grain Rice (3 1/4 cups)
1o. Chicken broth (5 cups)
11. Warm water (1 1/2 cup)
12. Sun-Dried tomato pesto (100grams or 4-5 tbsps)
Procedure
1. Preheat oven at 160c. 
2. Chop red bell pepper (thin and small slices), tomato (remove seeds) and garlic into slices
3. In a baking sheet or baking pan coated with olive oil, season the red bell peppers, tomatoes and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle again with olive oil and put it inside the oven. 
4. Chop white onion into small cubes.
5. In a big pot on medium-high heat add in the butter; let it melt. 
6. Add in the onion and stir around the pot. Wait until it is translucent.
7. Put the heat to a low and add the uncooked rice.
8. Stir around for a minute and season with salt and pepper. 
9. Add in the chicken broth and warm water.
10. Stir occasionally and make sure the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pot or it might burn.
At this point, retrieve the bell peppers, tomatoes and garlic from the oven. 
11. When you think it's done and the rice has absorbed the liquids (taste to make sure the texture is right) add the sun-dried tomato pesto, bell peppers, tomato and garlic. Stir for a few minutes.
12. Turn off the heat and continue to mix until the rice is thoroughly covered and flavoured. Season again with salt and pepper to taste. 
13. Let the rice settle with the lid on and serve it when it's hot. 


Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto rice with grilled beef kebabs
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto rice with grilled beef kebabs
Suggested Beverage
A dry red wine or sparkling grape juice
I just recently made the comments section open to all, so leave comments down below for requests, questions and recipe critiques! I'd loved to hear you guys out.
 (I'd also love to find out if my #1 taste-tester is just incredibly biased.)
xo, Ashley

© SUNNYSIDEASH
Maira Gall