5 Things I learned Through My Weight-loss Jounrey

I think I may have been giving the whole weight-loss experience such a bad reputation, and I just want to clarify that it was not entirely a bad phase for me. Until now, I discover so many things from my weight-loss journey. I feel like I really understand my body, and how it works, better now. 
          It's been a few months since I let go of my crazy dieting habits. I have gained weight as expected, but I am happier because I know I'm treating my body well. I'm exercising and I'm eating healthy most of the time.  I have finally come to the point where I know what is good for me and what is not, and I've honed that wisdom from my past experiences of crash-dieting and having unhealthy eating-habits.
          For those of you who are having trouble losing weight, and those of you who are having trouble dealing with your body image, or those of you who are experiencing both, here are a few tips that might help you out:

1. Willpower is what fuels discipline and self-control


          People asked me how I could resist all the yummy food while I was on a diet. Initially it was really difficult for me, but since I willed myself to picture my goal body, the things I could do, and the things I could wear if I had it, I knew that I could it. It got easier to resist the temptation of pizza every time I did. This goes for anything you want to achieve. Just will yourself into doing it and your efforts will always push through.


2. Giving up is a step backward from your goals


          The moment you fool yourself into thinking that you are not good enough, that you are not capable of doing what you need to do in order to achieve your goals, you will fail. You will end up binging, you will end up feeling bad about yourself, and you will be ultimately undetermined. Did you make a mistake? Try again. Did you not lose the amount of weight you planned? It's okay, you have tomorrow. 


3. Do not expect too much from yourself


          I know this may sound a little bleak, but I have learned from experience that expectations may just be the bane of self-destruction.  If you expect yourself to lose ten pounds in a week, and compare it to reality you might just be even more discouraged. This usually ends up in a binge-eating marathon that may go on for indefinite periods of time. Relax. Hope for the best. But never expect too much. Just trust this statement: If you're putting in the effort, the results will come. Have patience, and use that will to keep you determined.


4. Do not compare yourself to other people


          Have you ever caught yourself looking at that person in the gym and feeling envy and           insecurity consume you?  Have you every tried to will yourself into being someone else? If you're ever in that position, remember to tell yourself that everyone has their own struggle and feels their own pain, and we all have our different ways of dealing with it; the same way that everyone has a different body, exercising routines, and metabolism rates. People are built differently for a reason. You are not the same as that person from the gym. Some things may be harder for you, some things may be easier, but ultimately no matter how different you are from a person and no matter how much you crave for something else, you will always have yourself. Start feeling the value in that and not the value in things you don't have. 


5. Learn to love beyond the image


          Easier said than done, but once you've convinced (and I mean really put some faith in it) yourself that your health is all that matters, then it will become so much easier. Health is not just about the physical aspects, it's emotional as well. If you're a perfect size but suffer from depression than your body will suffer physically and mentally as well. Every part of you matters. Do not think your emotions are less important than your physical appearance. 


"The key to happiness is not wanting what you cannot have, it's wanting what you do."
PS Special shoutout to my special person for helping me through this week.
Love, Ashley
© SUNNYSIDEASH
Maira Gall